Saturday, May 10, 2008

Cloverfield





I was originally going to review this movie when it came out...why? Because, it is the only movie I have seen so far in theaters this year (2008)!

Yeah, I know, that's pretty funny. My original post, however, was going to be before I even started up this review blog, so I decided to wait and displace that review for this one.

I know it's kind of cheesy including this link (which is essentially an advertisement) for the movie in the review, but sue me OK? I was bored, and I didn't have time to go looking for pictures from the movie or other links to include in my review.

So, on to my review: Did I like this movie? And remember, about 4 months separate me from the time I actually saw it!

Yes, I did like this movie, unlike most of the reviewers at that time. What was it that they disliked? Well, instead of comparing my review to theirs, I will give you some of my good points.

I liked the first person view point that the movie was presented in. This made the movie a lot more personable to me. Yes, it did limit the point of view (POV) angles that were shot sometimes with the mini-cam, and you did not get to see the monster as much, but still, this was a concept I enjoyed.

I liked the futility of the characters trying to escape the destruction of the city and to survive. Survival is a human imperative. But, it makes you wonder, was this being contrasted to the monster's survival imperative? What then was the message there?

A lot of people complained that the type of people that populated the movie were all young 30 something young adults. Yet, this fact did not detract from the effect of the movie. You know, not everything in this country, or in this world is about the "Baby Boomer" Generation. And presenting something in someone else's viewpoint brings a fresh perspective to film making. I liked that, a lot.

Finally, the monster itself was cool. Some would say that we did not get to see it enough. Yet to me, all the unanswered questions are what made this movie all the better. If you have everything handed to you on a silver platter, then life offers no more mysteries. It is fun sometimes to wonder, what if... I enjoyed all the "what ifs" in this movie.

This movie scored a solid 3 stars out of 4 for me.

No comments: